I Was Just in a Car Accident, What Do I Do Now?
February 24, 2011 / Category: Motor Vehicle Accidents
The Do’s and Don’ts in the event of a car accident;
- DO not leave the accident scene
- DO stop immediately, but safely
- DO not admit fault
- DO call the police immediately
- DO call an ambulance immediately
- DO visit a hospital or your family doctor immediately
- DO not deny any injuries (never say “I think I am OK”).
- DO take pictures (or video) and write down all of your thoughts.
- DO draw a diagram of the accident events and scene.
- DO obtain the name, address, license number, phone number, registration number, and insurance information from all other persons involved in the accident
- DO obtain the name, address, and phone number of all witnesses to the accident
- DO not talk to the insurance company of any other person involved in the accident without legal representation, if you have been injured.
- DO notify your insurance company immediately (but do not give a recorded statement until you have obtained a lawyer). Your insurer is assessing your compensation limits from the moment you call.
- DO protect your legal rights, and obtain legal counsel immediately
- DO always – Be honest and ensure the accident information is recorded accurately by police, ambulance, hospital and doctors.